A Crazy Idea


I have this crazy idea. It’s been festering at the back of my mind for months now. Growing and morphing. It began as a niggling, a simple spark of light. I don’t believe it’s a full grown fireball yet, but it’s coming together and I’m getting excited. 
You’re going to laugh, though. Because it’s the simplest idea in the world. In fact, I’m sure there are already plenty of people who have had this idea and who are well into their own plans to enact it, to release it on this world. GOOD. We need as many people as we can get. It’s truly the only way it will work.
Are you ready for it? 
I believe we can save the world with kindness. 
I know. I know. Duh. It’s been said. It’s been done. Maybe you believe the world is hopeless. Maybe you believe tiny efforts can’t have big impacts. I am, afterall, only one person. What can I do? And what can I do that hasn’t already been done?
I have some vague thoughts. Like I said, my fireball isn’t ready. It’s not fully formed and prepped to take over the world with its loving warmth. It’s just a flame, growing in my heart, demanding to be seen, heard and felt. 
Last November I began a project. I was working for an airline and the state of the company had employee morale at a severe low. I decided something needed to be done to boost their spirits. So I set to work on a box full of beading materials I had lying around in storage and made every single female crew member a bracelet. Then I anonymously deposited them into each girl’s employee file. Immediately people started posting to social media. The gesture had warmed their hearts and given them joy.  
I decided to take the project a step further. Every time I would leave a plane, I left a note. Just a cute little message, a wish for a fabulous day or a sweet sentiment. I bought colors pens so the notes would be bright and cheerful. And I left one in the cockpit for the pilots and one in the galley for the flight attendants. Again, I saw people sharing, posting and commenting on how their days had brightened by the gesture. Many of them left the notes or passed them on so that others could experience the same pop of joy in their days. 
My heart swelled. This was exactly what I wanted. These tiny gestures of kindness were affecting people. In a positive way! I immediately wanted to do more. I wanted to expand my efforts, though. Take them beyond my little airline and out into the world. 
But what could I do? I had notes and bracelets. I had sparks of an idea. I had passion and a heart that wanted to affect good.  So I started this blog. And a little Etsy shop, where you can buy a bracelet to share with someone who needs a little pop of joy in their life. I have to believe tiny efforts can have big impacts.
So if you have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, please feel free to share. I’ll take any help that I can get.

Comments

Popular Posts